About Me
My Photo
Annie in Austin
Welcome! As "Annie in Austin" I blog about gardening in Austin, TX with occasional looks back at our former gardens in Illinois. My husband Philo & I also make videos - some use garden images as background for my original songs, some capture Austin events & sometimes we share videos of birds in our garden. Come talk about gardens, movies, music, genealogy and Austin at the Transplantable Rose and listen to my original songs on YouTube. For an overview read Three Gardens, Twenty Years. Unless noted, these words and photos are my copyrighted work.
View my complete profile

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Some Purple Stars for Pam/Digging


Since this area was St. Augustine grass until a few months ago, these Echinacea ‘Purple Stars’ have only been in a couple of months and may look different as the plants mature. They were less than two dollars each at local nursery Red Barn, which in addition to larger plants, carries inexpensive starter perennials for those willing to nurse tiny plants up to border size.

Right now the Coneflowers are adding summer color to the front, and were chosen to blend with the many hot pink crepe myrtles blooming nearby. From this spot you can see one of our myrtles as well as several belonging to the neighbors next door and to the people across the street. [Instead of fighting the pink trees, I’m trying to work with them.] This Echinacea variety doesn’t look particularly purple to me, but they look tidier than the species. The blue flowers are a few small Platycodon ‘Miss Tilly’, more Red Barn bargains. I love balloon flowers, and have them all over the place. The pinky flower at right is a Cuphea, a tiny white, pink & lavender version of the Bat-face cuphea.

1 comment:

  1. Annie, thanks for posting a picture of your 'Purple Stars.' You're right---it doesn't seem very purple to me either, but it does look much tidier than my tall, sprawling echinaceas.

    ReplyDelete

A comment from you is like chocolate - maybe I could live without it, but life is more fun with it. I'll try to answer. If someone else's comment piques your interest, please feel free to talk among yourselves.